Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Idea for a New PVP Meta

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 27, 2009
I was thinking of a newer pvp idea that I think could really help solve a lot of the current and past issues. What do y'all think of possibly having a separate kiosk in the arena lobby for people to join "ranked pvp" (probably not attached with a leaderboard or "rank badge" as these cause some relentless players to cheat/ exploit the system to gain massive amounts of rank and ruin the fun of it).

In this new pvp kiosk it should have different categories, possibly like an "Old age" of pvp like first age for example. With that being said, once you join the queue you're given set stats(Kinda like Deckathlon), but they exemplify your character's unique school identity (i.e. more damage for storm, with less health, more resist and health for ice etc). It would be similar to a mix of a "Classic" Tournament, and Deckathalon. I believe this would help to take a large part of the "RNG" aspect out, and implement more strategically centered PVP matches. Instead of arena tickets, maybe the players can early daily rewards / points that equate to something based on the amount of matches played, rather than amount of matches won (again to take the extreme competitiveness out of it, without taking away the reward of winning the battle itself). With the rewards maybe the players can eventually unlock a mastery amulet to allow for other school spells of that level group to be allowed, or to buy rare reagents/ pet snacks etc.

Maybe if this works, eventually KI can eventually implement different brackets for different levels. For example, if a player is only level 10, they can only join up to the level 10 bracket, and only use items that level 10 wizards are able to obtain and so on. In turn, if a level 140 joins they can choose any bracket they want, and it will automatically apply the gear set and restrictions for whatever level bracket they decide to join.

Not only does this combat the exploitation, RNG system, & "pay to win" aspects, it would probably entice old players to come back and play based on how they used to, and how they enjoyed it. It could end up being a great thing for everyone as you can play in the "1st Age PVP" bracket (Before critical), or go all the way up to "4th age pvp" where you have shadow enhanced spells and critical (that are regulated based on school identity of course).

This is something I have thought about quite a bit, but haven't really acted on it or spoke of it. If anyone sees this idea and wants to share it, please do, I think we as a Wizard community can really take this somewhere.

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
I would love to have alternative ranked pvp formats just like we have alternative pvp tournament formats. I personally would like to turn back the clock on pvp (and the match system) by about 2 years because I feel it's just gotten worse and worse since then. I hope the devs are looking at how the participation at lower levels has plummeted since the fall pvp update.

I also would love to do away with the leaderboard and with publicly displayed ranks, which have led to so much exploitation and general nastiness. Wouldn't it be nice to see people playing just for the fun and for prizes (so they don't feel like they are "wasting" their tc, as many people feel if they play practice pvp. We do need more prizes to buy with tickets. I would love to see pvp provide an alternative route to obtaining items that pvp players may want, but not necessarily want to do other activities to get--for instance stitch gear or code wands or rare housing or holiday items or elixirs. We could still have ranks for the purpose of assigning fair matches, but they would be no one else's business.

I also have thought a pvp format where you can just check out gear and pets to use from a pvp library would be nice and great for beginners or players with limited time who don't want to spend months farming spells or gear or making pets. This is, after all, supposed to be a family game and I feel that has been forgotten..

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
I like this idea. I have 2 comments/questions, not saying it's not a good idea but just to add to thought. What if they made this an unranked deal, as an option, yet kept the old ranked option? Is that what you're getting at? Or do you believe that they should totally drop ranked PvP? The reason I ask is because for one, this would shatter the hard-work high-reward farming system that is in place (for example, Dragoon gear for high level Wizards. Very hard to get, but once you have it you're crazy strong. Getting rid of the gear factor would destroy this). Which also drops a large feeling of reward achieved from the game. Second, if you want to get rid of truly ranked PvP completely, what about those who actually love the competition? Or like myself, where I don't find it to toxic (not saying it isn't, I just don't mind fighting any strategy or think it's toxic, and probably get lucky to get matched with nicer opponents)? Would there be something in place for those who like the competition?