Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm max pvp adjustments

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Hello, its been a while since I've posted, so I wanted to keep this short and be brief as possible. First I must say, thanks to the dev's for finally getting into the issues at hand with spell auditing and balance maintenance around max pvp, keeping them in line with the new meta. The fact that storm has been looked at, despite being ignored and getting the bitter end of the stick during the first set of audits leaves a promising future for the new meta. Storm has profoundly struggled up until the Storm elf meta, which was considered broken by many due to its support for an open scion or rusalka combos and limited copies.

With hard nerfs towards spells such as sirens and glow bug, blade stacking schools could have ways of abusing the meta and pretty much put storm damage to shame. With the amount of health fire and myth is able to have vs storm made me wonder, why storm couldn't have the same benefits to compete. Having spells like scion and buffed riusalka now is what's bringing me back to the game. The change made to insane bolt was another step towards fixing the issue with storm vs shield spammers, because lets face it, they were either doing too much in one match or barely keeping up in another due to heavy counters ran by aegis users.

While the current insane change and 0 pip disarm can help storm significantly in way, the back lash on insane however, is still a problem. Vs the old insane I call this an improvement because the old one was straight up high risk low reward despite doing 1000 damage or more depending on the damage out put, while instantly defeating the user. Now, being able to remove your own shields at the expense of a shield breaker spell is worst than a dot getting triage by the opponent. This spell has become high risk with mediocre reward. If this spell is able to hit your opponent 3 times and can be spam due to its small pip cost, then I would rather see the pip increase to 3 with added damage and 0 backlash.

This has been a mechanic I've found very unfair towards storm, especially with the old rusalka giving a -30% weakness for using their own spell. You don't see that with any other schools other than death with the bad juju dilemma. If storm is suppose to be that low health, low resist high damage hitting school, then their needs to be a way storm can compete against shield spamming or hit right through it to keep up.

Every school atm gets to have a dot except storm even balance which was a shocker for me, because I thought back then that would of been an impossible move but quite frankly that's not the case now.

So yes id love to see the dev give storm more ways to address shield spamming strategies.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
You now have the ability to carry unlimited storm beetle TC's AND you can create an electric elf pet that gives 2 lightning elf item cards. If you have to use more than 2 elf spells in a match you're not playing storm right anyway.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
vuntan on May 7, 2021 wrote:
You now have the ability to carry unlimited storm beetle TC's AND you can create an electric elf pet that gives 2 lightning elf item cards. If you have to use more than 2 elf spells in a match you're not playing storm right anyway.
That doesn't really justify much, because utilities are still necessary. beetle doesn't offer that much pressure going into set shields. Relying on pet cards to get by is accepted by the majority, but I feel like that in its own way puts some type of limit on what can a player use. Its only gonna be a matter of time till the devs ban those pet item cards such as the -90% Ereet as well despite their copies. If they were considered broken to begin with they shouldn't be allowed in pvp. Your last statement baffles me, because am not quite sure you realize shield set spamming is a thing and the only way to actually deal with them are dot's, pierce or even wand hits of a similar schools.

Like I've always used to say, if fire can get away with that much offensive prowess I don't see the reason storm can't either. Having more health and defensive playstyles vs storm now having to rely on an rng spell insane bolt to do exactly what other schools are doing. So yea what not hit myself 3x or lose hp in the process just to deal with a set shield. I thought Storm beetles tc were rare also? maybe they should make them accessible through Diego or the bazaar tc wise.