Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Beastmoon - Want a winning team? Learn the lingo. Communication.

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
I've been playing Beastmoon since it started and over time there are new players
that come in and although there are some really really great strategies already
on the message boards and other places, one thing new players and old don't have
as a straight out program or a basic bullet some of the best groups I have been a part.
So, now that grouping is enabled, although a little buggy still, here goes.
Remember this list that people i've played with agree are language Absolute's.

Communication is simply a key factor in creating and being in a winning group!

-You can be 100% sure that if you don't have players that communicate, they
will be your weakest links And could also be a potential griefer is they have
open chat and don't use it so that you can't report them if they do grief..
- There is certain common terms that the better players are using, here they are.

- "Lead" - Just like all other games there is one single person that is being the manager.
The one calling all the shots based on the COUNT if there is a counter in order to
delegate(Command, Direct) the team in the best and or multiple strategies that can
be used to get the win and success for the team.

- "The board" - Just the whole map, the whole thing.
- "Camp/Guard" - Where a player is on or near a specific ring and stays on or around the ring.
- "Free" - the number of players on your team who are free and able to
freely roam the board, capping, scouting, piping, getting health and chesting.
Announce, that you are free when everyone is fighting if you aren't leader always
so you leader knows your status and can direct you if they have a strategy.

- "Stall 'Player'/'Here' " - This is a call for a team mate to wait as long as possible to either cast
a spell or end the match so that points at other locations can be obtained to win or to trap
an enemy so he thinks he has a chance to win and doesn't flee.

- "Runner" - the number of enemy players currently on the board and running.
This number is always important because you can get snuck up on or being scouted
so the other team knows your location if you think the enemy is all occupied in a fight.
Ex. Your in a fight and one enemy is killed and they immediately flee. You announce
"New runner on the board, Healer",
Ex. "One runner just passed us at star" , "their rat runner is chesting"
Knowing what enemies are up to is important information.

- "Scout" - a player that is free to roam to gather pips and search for the enemy players
because of the importance of knowing the enemies location, destination, and possible intentions.
As a scout you are to relay info such as, "their rat runner going to star", " 2 enemy at spiral camping".

- "The Count" - The person who is assisting all the players by letting them know what the current
and possible points that are on the board.
- The best counters will know exactly how many points are in play at all points in order to direct
the group on the ability to win with all points in play, all points possible for the enemy
team, and all points available to be gained for all captures and number of player points outstanding.
- A counter will anounce, based on the current fights and spots where points are available and give
then a statement of Capture points possible or the ratio of the overall score related to the
possibility to win.
- A counter is an absolute vital component for the Lead, knowing the count allows the main
fighters of the team to fight and know what is possible future.
-As an example, "14 points on the board 3 2", that is 1 fight where 2 players are involved
there are 3 spots to get points with captures and 2 spots the enemy can capture.

Or "28 Points floating 3 1", if a counter calls floating, they use the ratio version.
If you get a ratio counter, that first number will tell you your likelihood
of obtaining those points based on all factors on the board.
If you get a counter that talks "Floating" points. That's your best math, listen.

- To sum up , if you have a counter, listen good becuase next to the leader, your counter
can be the reason you win more than your ego thinking your an awesome player.
- As a very important part, players need to know how many points everything is worth.
Where points are won, and where points are lost. If you have no clue how much a house
costs then how can you buy it?

- "Choke" - This term is used to state that the enemy has very few points they can take and are forced
into performing an action that will give them air, to breathe back in points.
This is usually when a team has captured all the points on the board and the only choice
for the other team is to try and get some points, as some strategies tell the other
team to avoid capturing at all.
Choking can go in reverse, where the other team has all the spots captured and instead
of capturing rings with your team, you force the other team to go to spiral or just
where you want to catch them at to fight.
Choking is all about control of the board.
Avoiding captures can be just as good as a capture.

- "Ambush 'Spot name Here' -
An ambush is when a player or scout can see an oppurtunity to catch a solo
enemy player to catch a quick kill.

- "Ring it" - Where a team completely avoids the spiral all together to forbid the other team from
using the spiral as their spot to take points.
Listen to the count, as this is actually very effective using it you can ambush enemies
that are alone that can be defeated quickly.

- "Bait" - When a player will seek out an enemy and make they're presence know to try and lure the
enemy player into a specific action to catch an enemy player at a location the team lead has
specified, Ex. ("Scout, bait a runner to moon.")
- An example would be a situation where the lead wants to trap and hold down a healer
at a location other than where a big fight is like spiral or just to trap a specific form
like the pig because of the ongoing bug it's a great trick to sneak a pig into a solo
fight or any fight that is not the fight that will change the math of the points.

These are the main terms that have become universal to all of the best groups that I have
played with over the years.

I hope this helps everyone and remember communication wins.

Administrator
AtomGrounder on May 13, 2020 wrote:
I've been playing Beastmoon since it started and over time there are new players
that come in and although there are some really really great strategies already
on the message boards and other places, one thing new players and old don't have
as a straight out program or a basic bullet some of the best groups I have been a part.
So, now that grouping is enabled, although a little buggy still, here goes.
Remember this list that people i've played with agree are language Absolute's.

Communication is simply a key factor in creating and being in a winning group!

-You can be 100% sure that if you don't have players that communicate, they
will be your weakest links And could also be a potential griefer is they have
open chat and don't use it so that you can't report them if they do grief..
- There is certain common terms that the better players are using, here they are.

- "Lead" - Just like all other games there is one single person that is being the manager.
The one calling all the shots based on the COUNT if there is a counter in order to
delegate(Command, Direct) the team in the best and or multiple strategies that can
be used to get the win and success for the team.

- "The board" - Just the whole map, the whole thing.
- "Camp/Guard" - Where a player is on or near a specific ring and stays on or around the ring.
- "Free" - the number of players on your team who are free and able to
freely roam the board, capping, scouting, piping, getting health and chesting.
Announce, that you are free when everyone is fighting if you aren't leader always
so you leader knows your status and can direct you if they have a strategy.

- "Stall 'Player'/'Here' " - This is a call for a team mate to wait as long as possible to either cast
a spell or end the match so that points at other locations can be obtained to win or to trap
an enemy so he thinks he has a chance to win and doesn't flee.

- "Runner" - the number of enemy players currently on the board and running.
This number is always important because you can get snuck up on or being scouted
so the other team knows your location if you think the enemy is all occupied in a fight.
Ex. Your in a fight and one enemy is killed and they immediately flee. You announce
"New runner on the board, Healer",
Ex. "One runner just passed us at star" , "their rat runner is chesting"
Knowing what enemies are up to is important information.

- "Scout" - a player that is free to roam to gather pips and search for the enemy players
because of the importance of knowing the enemies location, destination, and possible intentions.
As a scout you are to relay info such as, "their rat runner going to star", " 2 enemy at spiral camping".

- "The Count" - The person who is assisting all the players by letting them know what the current
and possible points that are on the board.
- The best counters will know exactly how many points are in play at all points in order to direct
the group on the ability to win with all points in play, all points possible for the enemy
team, and all points available to be gained for all captures and number of player points outstanding.
- A counter will anounce, based on the current fights and spots where points are available and give
then a statement of Capture points possible or the ratio of the overall score related to the
possibility to win.
- A counter is an absolute vital component for the Lead, knowing the count allows the main
fighters of the team to fight and know what is possible future.
-As an example, "14 points on the board 3 2", that is 1 fight where 2 players are involved
there are 3 spots to get points with captures and 2 spots the enemy can capture.

Or "28 Points floating 3 1", if a counter calls floating, they use the ratio version.
If you get a ratio counter, that first number will tell you your likelihood
of obtaining those points based on all factors on the board.
If you get a counter that talks "Floating" points. That's your best math, listen.

- To sum up , if you have a counter, listen good becuase next to the leader, your counter
can be the reason you win more than your ego thinking your an awesome player.
- As a very important part, players need to know how many points everything is worth.
Where points are won, and where points are lost. If you have no clue how much a house
costs then how can you buy it?

- "Choke" - This term is used to state that the enemy has very few points they can take and are forced
into performing an action that will give them air, to breathe back in points.
This is usually when a team has captured all the points on the board and the only choice
for the other team is to try and get some points, as some strategies tell the other
team to avoid capturing at all.
Choking can go in reverse, where the other team has all the spots captured and instead
of capturing rings with your team, you force the other team to go to spiral or just
where you want to catch them at to fight.
Choking is all about control of the board.
Avoiding captures can be just as good as a capture.

- "Ambush 'Spot name Here' -
An ambush is when a player or scout can see an oppurtunity to catch a solo
enemy player to catch a quick kill.

- "Ring it" - Where a team completely avoids the spiral all together to forbid the other team from
using the spiral as their spot to take points.
Listen to the count, as this is actually very effective using it you can ambush enemies
that are alone that can be defeated quickly.

- "Bait" - When a player will seek out an enemy and make they're presence know to try and lure the
enemy player into a specific action to catch an enemy player at a location the team lead has
specified, Ex. ("Scout, bait a runner to moon.")
- An example would be a situation where the lead wants to trap and hold down a healer
at a location other than where a big fight is like spiral or just to trap a specific form
like the pig because of the ongoing bug it's a great trick to sneak a pig into a solo
fight or any fight that is not the fight that will change the math of the points.

These are the main terms that have become universal to all of the best groups that I have
played with over the years.

I hope this helps everyone and remember communication wins.
Excellent Beastmoon Hunt tips AtomGrounder!

Explorer
Jun 19, 2010
I too have been playing Beastmoon since the initial match. The game has evolved and changed with almost every event. It is very fluid and there is an almost constant learning curve.

I find AdamGrounder's post interesting. At the very least it now provides me with a source and explanations to all cap Commands I have seen in the most recent event.

I understand the desire to win and the need to have a basic concept in the assorted different strategies to be successful.

The post provides a certain way a group of Wizard101 members have decided on the way they want the Beastmoon game to be played. I am sorry but it comes across to me that if I do not play the way you dictate the game must be played, then I am not a valid submissive obedient wizard to be playing in your game. Sort of makes me think of inner city gang mentality - follow the leader and obey the leader's commands.

Yes it is good when a group of players cooperate and support each other with the assorted spells that can build on another beast form's spells. There are a lot of new players in each event and don't forget many of them are children. There are also elder players and Mom's and Dad's that like to play. Not everyone wants to be a dominated player with commands shouted to them by the leader. Who by the way was selected by a group of players prior to the match, unbeknownst by the one or two members of the team that were not aware that a leader had even been selected by players that were "game friends and grouped".

Maybe grouping more than two friends is not such a good idea for Beastmoon if the game is going to evolve this way.

This above post explains to me why this last event had very aggressive play and techniques I had never seen before. Now I understand why that fire elf was just hanging out on the cliff above the Moon ring. It appeared to me that they were not participating in their team's game play. As soon as I tried to cap the Moon I was immediately in a fight by two opponents that must have been hiding behind the blocks because I always stand with my back to a wall so I can see any players that might be approaching me when I am vulnerable. They ran in behind me and I was in a fight in which I never even got to toss my first spell. I was dead in the first round. I was ambushed and never had time to call my other team members for help.

This post also explains why I got several chat comments that if I did not support the team and continued to do dumb moves I was going be reported for not being a team player.

The initial post explains a lot to me now. It appears there is a certain faction of players that have the belief that they are going to make the rules and if I want to play Beastmoon, essentially I must join their gang /guild/whatever you want to call it, and do as I am instructed or they will see to it that I will be reported and banned if the KI administrators take their side of the gang mentality for not play the game their way, I indeed will receive a "You Have been Banned for "X" hours" on my screen. Again this reeks of a cyber Wizard gang taking over the game. The exact same reason why I stopped playing PVP several years ago. I have chatted with hundreds of players that love Beastmoon but left PVP for the same reason why I stopped playing PVP. The trash talking, bossy, sometimes exploiting of glitches, outright hacking, you have to be a member of the click or we will destroy you attitude.

This last event had a lot of glitches, but the most memorable part of this event was the aggressive commands, trash talk, demanding a player do as told, threatened reporting, Ebonics slang talk. Plus game play that could only be described as coordinated gang jumping or controlling the "hood".

Spark, if you think this is the correct evolution of Beastmoon, I have to disagree with you.

Maybe there are players that want to be more like what is described above. Maybe there should be Beastmoon tournaments for players that want to play a gang mentality domination aggressive type of game.

I, like many, loved Beatsmoon until this last event, as a group of unknown players working together to play the game, have fun, and maybe win. Often I spend more time in a game teaching a new player the basics of the game and how to use the spells. Yes, I could ignore them and go about the game, and maybe make more event points or game points. But to me it was more important to help a new player learn how to play the game. I would never intimidate a new player or call them "stew pid" or "I dot", or threaten to report them for not playing for the team (or the Boss leader's way). Many players have commented that they like the Beastmoon concept. They are more interested in the entertainment and fun aspects of another thing to do in Wizards101. We are not blood thirsty PVP MUST WIN game players. We are playing for enjoyment, not stress and trash talk. Many of us were Warlords in the first or second arc of PVP and quit PVP because of the way it evolved. We jumped into Beastmoon as a fun way to play against other real people and enjoy the experience of the game.

This game event was an eye opening experience. I was told I should give up my level 4 tier 3 Balance Wolf to a player that always played the Wolf lvl 3. ( With hindsight, I guess my selecting the Wolf messed up that group's game plan.) I was told that if I didn't know how to use my cards I should just quit playing. I was told to go stand on the side of the spiral and tell the team leader if any of the other team showed up. I chose to not do any of those instructions. I still needed event points, I need to have activity in the game, not just stand there and report to "my Leader". In way too many matches I turned my chat balloons and chat box off because I had had enough of the talk, demands, and threats. No it wasn't easy being a "shunned lone wolf" and have a successful match. But at least I didn't have to see what horrid things were being implied about me and the way I failed to be a good little minion.

I don't know if the above described game play is what the developers intended Beastmoon to be. If it is, then it is PVP on steroids - gangs fighting over the hood territory, jumping from behind and beating down a solo capping player. Not only dominating the game but also all team members.

I would love to continue to play Beastmoon. The Beastmoon events before groups were allowed were fun. If Beastmoon is going to evolve into PVP gang warfare, I will quit playing Beastmoon, just as I quit playing PVP.

Squire
Apr 18, 2013
You are right about only 1 thing. Communicate. But all those terms are words I have never once encountered in all my years of beastmooning. This is not a good guide. There are too many outside factors that go into each hunt. There will be random teams with players who are mute. There will be teams with new players needing guidance. There will be teams with 2 (or more) players thinking they are the leader. In order to have proper communication, you have to be able to type short term and fast and make it so that everyone can understand easily. With all the terms this guide claims are known, rest assured they are not known terms in the slightest bit whatsoever. If players are in a hunt with someone using the lingo in this guide, I guarantee you, all it will cause is players asking to explain what the term means. What also has to be considered is the time it takes to stop and type anything. Pips can be missed when one has to stop to tell the team what they are doing. Sometimes trust needs to be in play. There are so many important things to consider in each unique hunt. Not everyone will be able to get the beast they want, and some like experiencing new beast forms. Basically, some goals of the hunters can vary from that of the team. Some might need a few points to reach a reward, some might be in the hunt for actual fun. Some hunters might not be able to be chatty because real life is happening. My definition of winning is having fun. That's my lingo.

If you want the true best communication, you will use full sentences in the shortest way possible. Please also consider, keyboards tend to mess up one's chat, especially when a match is about to start and it messes up the chat when it zooms into battle mode. And, also consider while in a match, we only have a short amount of time to type anything. Yes, I know that is the whole goal of the 'lingo' here, but once again, it will only cause people to be confused, so you're absolute best bet is to type out exactly what you want to tell the team to avoid them asking what you are talking about.
You didn't even mention the lingo of the word "hide". Self explanatory.
There are just too many factors and each hunt is unique and also I do not like it when 1 person in a hunt thinks they know better than the rest. Let me be the one to tell my teammates they are better than me. Just remember, too many factors means I am not saying even a fraction of them here in my rambling post as I wait for maintenance to end.
Anywho, you did take time to make a lengthy post so it was a good effort. Just remember, there are players who will not or cannot listen which will offset the entire lingo concept. And one reason beastmoon is fun is because you have to develop a strategy on the fly with each unique match. Lastly, do not think healers are so weak. I play a tier 5 healer and I got a mixture of heals and hits in me.

Want my tip for a winning team? Get pips. Help your teammates to get pips. Ambush the enemy if you can. Hopefully someone can shield the team fast. Take out death enemies (because they can hit under the shields). Or all focus on the same enemy. Listen. As healer, I have spirit harvest and I explain in full detail and in the shortest amount of words, what it does. The number one term most know is "aoe". Still, it has to be explained to many a player. Shortest/quickest way to explain it is "hit all". Another important term (or lingo) is "dot" as in "damage over time". As healer, I request my teammates use dots because my powerful hit cards boosts on dots.
There are too many strategies with each fight. One way is to all go for the first enemy on the opposing team. Why? Because your team will always get an extra turn once they are gone. Another strategy is take out their strongest, take out their weakest, take out their healer, etc. This is where communication is key to hopefully winning that match. Shortest way to communicate? One word, "plan?" or "strategy?" are useful lingo. Another one word lingo most use is, "help!" Or just, "eye", "star", "sun", "moon" or "spiral".

Maintenance should be over now, back to wiz. Cya in the Hunt!
(sigh, 3 hour maintenance, not done yet.)

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
First, let me say I think you should beastmoon however you want. If it isn't fun
for you then there isn't any reason to play it.

I read everything you folks said and hope you will realize
that these terms were put together to just give a basic understanding
of what type of language would be used.

The new group set up made it possible for people to take full advantage of
using a base type language for a full on group team to coordinate, motivate
and destroy the opponents.

As the post title states, TEAM. There are many players that love beastmoon
that just enjoy it as it goes in the form that they play it. Then, there are those
that see the beast moon as this, BEAST! MOON! Roar! Destroy the enemy!

Beast moon has been around as a novelty, a quirky, cool, something new type thing.
In fact, its been around for a very long time but has basically just started gaining
prominence because of it's similarity to games like starcraft, counterstrike, forte night,
and so many other seriously competitive pvp multiplayer types.

These words to use are not set in stone. As I said, it's just a basic guide of how people
communicate in all of the best groups I have been in where people are in it for the sense
of complete and total competition and domination. A great deal of time was spend with
friends just trying to sync right to get in the same match before the grouping ability.
We were friends but we all agreed on one thing. If I know you and your on the other team,
I am going to slaughter you so I can gloat later about how I won. Then we would talk about
what we could have done better.

Let Beast moon make you have fun. You can use any terms or words you want.

Play how it is fun for you, when you hear the words used here, you now know what they
are talking about that time. All it is, it's not rules, just a common word break down.

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Stemogstel, and Rowantimes6, I forgot to tell you both thank you for your comments.

It made me look over my post several times and not counting all my grammar mistakes
I am one that knows how to listen. I kinda think I need fix all my grammar and add those
other quick words you pointed out that i forgot. Thank you.

Explorer
Jun 19, 2010
Atom Grounder

I thank you for reading the other posts. I think one aspect many players of Wizard101 and Beastmoon forget is this game is considered child friendly. I think it fills a nitch for kids that are in that difficult age area of no longer being a young child but not yet a more mature older teen or adult. It also appeals to adults that want to enjoy a multi player game but not have to be either aggressive or defensive all the time.

I believe it is not intended to be a seriously competitive game as those you mentioned. In my opinion if a person wants "stomp 'em, kill 'em" type of game play they should not be trying to force such attitude on the Wizard 101 community. They should join a game like those you mentioned that are more aggressive.

Don't take this personal, but I read in one of the other companion sites a statement that essentially stated "The only reason why the hard core bully players are trying to dominate PVP and Beastmoon is because they can't cut it in the games that are serious hard core PVP type play. So they choose Wizard101 to feel good about dominating little kids and old ladies"

While Beastmoon type games may have been around in the gaming world for quite some time - it is less than a year (8 months ?) in Wizard101. It is still in it's evolution infancy. It must be a challenge for the programmers to find a balance of fun entertainment game play with the desires of more aggressive players that want groups of "well oiled military style attack teams"

I am one of those older players that enjoy the variety of the teams - usually. I found this most recent Beastmoon - with groups - and all the other bugs - nowhere near as fun and enjoyable as the previous events. Maybe it was just my "luck of the draw" and I got on teams that were grouped with an aggressive battle plan - I don't know. I have not grouped in Beastmoon and do not know if that grouping is like other Wizard grouping and limited to 4 members of a group. I do know it was never mentioned in the time we spend in our base camp that the other players had a battle plan. Maybe they were busy with group chat, of which I was not privy to. All I know is in way too many matches I was the "odd man out" which made it a very difficult match for me.

Maybe Wizard101 should make two different versions of Beastmoon - those that want to group 6 players and work as a military style war machine against others that also want that sort of play. And another Beastmoon "Lite" for those of us that are lucky to have one other friend that likes to play Beastmoon - limit the "lite" version to no more than 2 players per group.

I would love to continue to enjoy the Beastmoon events. But if the most recent game play - military, gang, domination, beat them down, - is where Beastmoon is evolving into. I will give up playing Beastmoon, just as I gave up PVP. BTW I have two wizards that made Warlord in both the first and second arc of PVP. I quit because I did not enjoy the changes in attitude of the players.

Survivor
Mar 26, 2012
I loved BeastMoon Hunt from the start. But my biggest fear was that KI would turn it into something like the regular pvp, which I'm not a fan of. The fact its pvp without being the regular pvp is one of the things i love about it. I loved the way we joined, never knowing who you might be teamed up with. I do think allowing groups to join is a very bad idea. It should be left alone. Teamwork and fun is what it was and I hope it stays that way. I did hear more threats than normal about reporting people in this last hunt. I've heard some of the phrases Atom wrote about, but a lot them, never heard them. I just go in and try to help and have fun. KI has done and always does some great work and I enjoy it every month so thanks for that! Just please dont fix what isnt broken!

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
I think the biggest thing for everyone to remember it is a PVP event competition.

I personally was a raid leader in two very popular role playing games.
Sometimes I was in charge of a 60 person raid, we had voice chat, we had Captains, Task
leaders, everyone had their role to play. It was brutal and very difficult.
When I play beastmoon, I do not see man, woman, child, teen, adult, old geyser or anything more
than a "person" playing the game.

It is just an opinion for me but I dont think Beastmoon was created to throw confetti in the air and
yell, ah who cares, it's just a game. Remind yourself what a quest is being something you complete it
or you don't complete it. In other words, you either win, or lose.

There is only one single outcome or purpose of creating a competition, to have a Winner.

You can have bad random groups, that is true fact. You can have griefers cheating by playing
both sides with their friend in the chair next to them.

Someone has to win, you win by training and evolving with the people you playing with no matter what they do.
No football star ever just woke up after one game and was an NFL Pro Player, you must learn your forms.
The same with Karate, Jeet Kun DO, Teakwondo, is that you must train your form.

In summation, there can be only one winner. You can't be a try'er or failure.

A great sage once said, "Try not, Do, or do not"

Explorer
Jun 19, 2010
I disagree with you AtomGrounder - Wizard101 is primarily a game that is safe for children. Additionally many adults like to play it as a non stress pleasurable game to play. It is not like the "win at all coast, beat the enemy to a pulp" other games you were a raid leader in.

I have a question - if you were so successful in those games and desire that type of intense battle . . Why did you leave them ? I presume you did because of your use of the past tense "was". As you say and know, there is a bounty of intense war like games out there, why do you insist that Wizard101 must also be like them?

Just because Beastmoon is a variation on a PVP style, does not mean it must be a war to win or else you are a failure. Maybe you should stay in PVP and not play Beastmoon because it is never going to be the "win rush" you seem to enjoy.

Myself, and many players I have chatted with, like Beastmoon primarily because is isn't the type of game you seem to think all PVP games must be - intense and win at all costs or you're failure and don't bother me and my game.

I played Beastmoon every day during the event that just ended. The majority of matches were fun. Yes there was frustration with the bugs and glitches, but most players just "rolled with it" and still were pleasantly conversant with their team mates.

However I was also in a few matches that it was very much like you describe it should be. To me, those matches were just something to try and do my best and get through it.

I was commanded in all caps to do things, such as "get to the spiral NOW" so I did, and upon arriving there was no one there, from either team. I was told to do nothing -"don't cap, don't engage" - well I needed event points so tell me just how when the team I am on is way behind in game points and everyone is instructed to just stand around watching one fight ring of two players, of which they were losing - how can I get event points if I just stand there and do nothing? So I decided to cap and maybe get in a fight - heck we were already losing. Guess what, all the other standing around team members did not help me in that fight because the "Leader" told them to ignore the rogue player. Well I won the fight solo and got some game points. To think that a click is so bound together and following the leader to refuse to help me in a fight is not what I want my game experience of Wizard101 to be like.

Hopefully the military style of dominating teams with leaders is never going to take over Beastmoon. Many of the players I chat with love it and left PVP and other war style games because they did not enjoy the attitude of those players.

I sincerely hope the multitude of polite, pleasant, happy players of Beastmoon that I have had the opportunity to meet and have fun with do not succumb to the "War Leaders and clicks of obedient minions" attempt to make Beastmoon like so many other games those type of game players could go to and be happy with the WAR WIN OR LEAVE mentality.

In my opinion a game is supposed to be fun and entertaining, even better if you meet players that are pleasant and social. I can only hope I will continue to have the majority of my Beastmoon matches with those type of players, and not get matched up as one of the two rogues not a member of the war group.

In real life right now there is so much strife, good gatherings for a cause are being infiltrated by fighting combatants - please don't insist that Wizard101 must become a reflection of what is ripping our country apart.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2009
Will their ever be something similar to a rank match up or just something that matches players of the same skill etc?
I am going to be flat out honest here lol. I am so tired of either children who don't even understand what they are reading, players who don't have open chat, other players who don't care to play the game right or at all (afk), people who join and either camp or immediately leave and leaves you short a player. I have leveled my death pig to lvl 4 so I used a lot of material and money which was basically just went down the drain. I literally haven't even made it to the third gift of this event. Also yes I know you can make a group but do you know how hard it is to make/find a GOOD group of people who get along and don't have the same players?

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
I wanted to comment on the January BM Mayhem event. I understand the frustration about teaming up with people who do not know how to play. I was one of those noobs in the November and December Mayhem hunts. I have now played enough to know what to do and I also read Cool Aid0511's guide and it was helpful to me. There are plenty of Regular BM Hunt guides, (thank you Final Bastion) but there aren't too many resources for Mayhem yet. I have played regular BM since it was introduced, but even seasoned BM players are noobs in Mayhem until you learn the ropes. Time is so important and there are many shortcuts.. but I learned them all on the fly while hunting.

I have found that talking to people in or near the arena even out in unicorn way to form groups is a great alternative for those of us who play solo or don't use discord. I don't have 5 friends handy especially at night when I like to play. So my first suggestion is to talk to other wiz who are around and ask them to group up. Especially if they have a Beastmoon Badge equipped during the hunt, (I always do). Even better if they have a Mayhem badge then you know they at least one Wave 1 or Wave 2 or both.

If you are able to hunt at night, say after 8-9PM, those magic hours of 8PM-1AM are when there seems to be more experienced hunters available and I have had some good matches as a result.

One tip I learned this hunt: When the match starts, most people run to the nearest 2 fights. It is a good idea to seek out the time clams/clocks initially because you can make it to the battle that is furthest away from the entrance, (hopefully with a team mate), while searching for time. If you are alone, you can start the battle anyway, as I did. I won it alone one time and the other time I tried this I waited until I found the time bonus before joining that battle solo and in two turns, I had help. Wave 1 battles should be 2 v 2 but I saw many people run in and make it 3 v 2. If you are the more experienced hunter and people just run into battle, you will be the 3rd! If you can wait a few seconds, (hang back!) then you can prevent the 3 v 2 battles in Wave 1, sometimes!!
Also you can say "don't join please" - this stopped a 3rd from coming in twice that I saw. Communication is everything with Mayhem, right??

If you win Wave 1 and Wave 2 you can net about 45-60 event points per match. I have yet to beat Wave 3 and win a match but I imagine that would net you about 65-80 points? Can anyone confirm this?

I also wanted to talk about Meleager. He rewards you one MG dust for beating Wave 1 and 2 more dust for winning Wave 2. Does he also reward 3 dusts for beating Wave 3/winning? Also, does he "reset" at the end of the hunt so if you won rewards from Meleager for Jan Mayhem you can win them again for Feb Mayhem? Can anyone confirm this?

I was able to craft the Storm Krok gold idol with 10 MG dust obtained strictly from Meager on 4 of my 6 wizards.
So I didn't need to sweat getting the 425 event points on the reward bar for the 4 dusts. That was my goal at the start of Jan hunt but once I saw the Meleager rewards I realized I just needed to win Waves on each wizard to collect 10.

@Beachcity, I know it is frustrating to have that L4 Pig and not even win one match. However, I bet you rarely lose your form! Having played on Tier 1 - Lvl 1 forms and Tier 3 - Lvl 4 forms, the higher levels/tiers means you have less chance of "losing" your form during that match. Chances are you may not always get your death pig, but when you do, I bet you hang on to it with relative ease!

Happy Hunting everyone! See you next week on the hunting grounds :)

Hunter

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Rowantimes6 on Jun 9, 2020 wrote:
I disagree with you AtomGrounder - Wizard101 is primarily a game that is safe for children. Additionally many adults like to play it as a non stress pleasurable game to play. It is not like the "win at all coast, beat the enemy to a pulp" other games you were a raid leader in.

I have a question - if you were so successful in those games and desire that type of intense battle . . Why did you leave them ? I presume you did because of your use of the past tense "was". As you say and know, there is a bounty of intense war like games out there, why do you insist that Wizard101 must also be like them?

Just because Beastmoon is a variation on a PVP style, does not mean it must be a war to win or else you are a failure. Maybe you should stay in PVP and not play Beastmoon because it is never going to be the "win rush" you seem to enjoy.

Myself, and many players I have chatted with, like Beastmoon primarily because is isn't the type of game you seem to think all PVP games must be - intense and win at all costs or you're failure and don't bother me and my game.

I played Beastmoon every day during the event that just ended. The majority of matches were fun. Yes there was frustration with the bugs and glitches, but most players just "rolled with it" and still were pleasantly conversant with their team mates.

However I was also in a few matches that it was very much like you describe it should be. To me, those matches were just something to try and do my best and get through it.

I was commanded in all caps to do things, such as "get to the spiral NOW" so I did, and upon arriving there was no one there, from either team. I was told to do nothing -"don't cap, don't engage" - well I needed event points so tell me just how when the team I am on is way behind in game points and everyone is instructed to just stand around watching one fight ring of two players, of which they were losing - how can I get event points if I just stand there and do nothing? So I decided to cap and maybe get in a fight - heck we were already losing. Guess what, all the other standing around team members did not help me in that fight because the "Leader" told them to ignore the rogue player. Well I won the fight solo and got some game points. To think that a click is so bound together and following the leader to refuse to help me in a fight is not what I want my game experience of Wizard101 to be like.

Hopefully the military style of dominating teams with leaders is never going to take over Beastmoon. Many of the players I chat with love it and left PVP and other war style games because they did not enjoy the attitude of those players.

I sincerely hope the multitude of polite, pleasant, happy players of Beastmoon that I have had the opportunity to meet and have fun with do not succumb to the "War Leaders and clicks of obedient minions" attempt to make Beastmoon like so many other games those type of game players could go to and be happy with the WAR WIN OR LEAVE mentality.

In my opinion a game is supposed to be fun and entertaining, even better if you meet players that are pleasant and social. I can only hope I will continue to have the majority of my Beastmoon matches with those type of players, and not get matched up as one of the two rogues not a member of the war group.

In real life right now there is so much strife, good gatherings for a cause are being infiltrated by fighting combatants - please don't insist that Wizard101 must become a reflection of what is ripping our country apart.
It's ok to disagree, so I appreciate your opinion.

The question is, again, what did you think Beastmoon Hunt or Mayhem was going to be?

Are there any balloons anywhere? Are the spells meant to kill or make balloon animals?

Are there puppies running around hoping you play a card that gives the puppy a treat?

As of 4/6/2021 there are more Adult players subscribed than people below 18, but it just
so happens that many of the strong winning players are below 18 and I can safely say
that Beastmoon Hunt and Mayhem is exactly what it was intended to be when it was created.
I have a Mother and daughter team I play with, the daughter is 12 years old and leads the
group better than many adults I know. They both have a Beastmoon Hero badge, 1000 wins..
Hero badge says it all. 1000 Wins. Not losses.

I think the biggest point is, Communication. Not whether you wanna join a game an find
a balloon animal or some cotton candy.

It's a team event where 1 team wins and one loses. It's fact that if you win you get more points.

- And on the note of strife, it will always be there, and Beastmoon is a good way to have good
competition and kill all your favorite friends. It is less toxic than normal PVP because no trash
talking and there is nothing like telling a good friend that they kicked my tail good.

It's good sportsmanship.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
My opinion on hard fights, which includes Beastmoon, is that you should either be competent, obedient, or both. If you're competent, try to take the lead, and if you're not, ask what you should do and do that. Nothing irks me more than a player who doesn't know what they're doing but doesn't take direction. If you're starting fights outnumbered because you're trying to get the event points for capping rings despite other people telling you not to, that's just selfish. Losing fights gives the enemy team a lot of points.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Wow, um yeah. I also have been playing since the beginning and there were some terms that are used frequently, but some others that are way above my paygrade. Help "x" ring, Stall, Guard and Capture I feel like are the only terms that I see used and that are appropriate. The other stuff is waaay to complicated for a game for kids and kids at heart.

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
Came across this post and I just have to respond. I've played over 1000 beastmoon matches, both with randoms and various teams. I've played every event from the very first. Some of the teams I've been fortunate enough to play with win nearly every single match. I've played with quite a few people who have the beastmoon Hero (1000 wins) badge. And yet I've never come across a team that uses or expects the style of play described in the OP. I've never even heard half the terms described in the OP used by anyone or any team. No one has ever asked or expected anyone to sit around reporting on the movements of the other team or designated an official point counter. I appreciate that the OP is trying to be helpful, I'm just puzzled as to where you are hearing these terms and finding teams that play like that.

I don't mean to say there isn't a team somewhere that does all that is described in the OP, but beginning players looking for information on beastmoon should know that this is simply not how the vast, vast majority of players are approaching the game. There is nothing wrong with having this level of organization in a team if that's what the players like, but I think it might be intimidating to new players thinking that is what's expected.

Most teams will be quite happy if you are friendly. communicative, and follow a few basic strategies like not running into fights alone or outnumbered, listening to and being willing to learn from advice from experienced teammates if you are new (eg, generally losing teams need to defend rings rather than capping), and generally working together--helping out fights when help is needed, coordinating targeting, etc.