Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Welcome to Monstrology!

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Now you can capture the “Animus” of monsters through the magic of Monstrology. Wizards level 12 and above should visit Monstrologist Burke across from the Myth School in Ravenwood to take on the quest, “Know Thine Enemy” for an introduction to the new Monstrology system in Wizard101.

You’ll begin with a quick training session to using the Extract Animus spells which apply to damage cards in combat much like other enchantments (In other words, you apply an Extract Animus spell to your cards much like you would the Colossal spell). Use these enchanted cards during combat to extract Animus. Use Animus to then create Summon Monster Treasure Cards, create House Guests for your Castle, or create powerful Expel Monster Treasure Cards for non-boss enemies.

Press “T” in game to open your Monstrology Tome to create and track these new items.

You’ll also now be earning ranks in Monstrology and earning badges for your accomplishments while you play with this new system.

Special Notes:
  • During PvE combat, non-Myth school wizards can summon one monster through a created treasure card, but Myth players can summon up to three!
  • If the monster is one you can only ever fight once through a quest, you won’t be able to collect animus from it.
  • If your Monstology level is equal to the enemy's rank, you should be able to get an animus. If your Monstorology level is below the enemy's rank, it will be harder to collect animus. The difficulty grows as the level/rank difference increases.
  • When you fail to collect Animus, you’ll receive a message explaining why it wasn’t collected.
  • Be sure to check the Monstroomibus pedestal next to Monstrologist Burke if you need a refresher on the Monstrology tutorial and the new Monstrodome Crown Shop Item.
~~

Along with the new Monstrology system also comes the Monstrodome!

The Monstrodome is an interact-able item you either purchase through the Crown Shop or craft (See Felicia Worthington in Marleybone to purchase the recipe). You can add your minion summoning treasure cards into the Monstrodome and invite friends to come duel your devious collection of monsters from within your player housing.

You interact with the Monstrodome much like you would other housing items. You click on the Place Object housing button, place your Monstrodome in your house, Click on your Monstrodome, and then click on the Monstrodome icon.

Defender
Dec 25, 2010
Dworgyn on Apr 13, 2017 wrote:
Now you can capture the “Animus” of monsters through the magic of Monstrology. Wizards level 12 and above should visit Monstrologist Burke across from the Myth School in Ravenwood to take on the quest, “Know Thine Enemy” for an introduction to the new Monstrology system in Wizard101.

You’ll begin with a quick training session to using the Extract Animus spells which apply to damage cards in combat much like other enchantments (In other words, you apply an Extract Animus spell to your cards much like you would the Colossal spell). Use these enchanted cards during combat to extract Animus. Use Animus to then create Summon Monster Treasure Cards, create House Guests for your Castle, or create powerful Expel Monster Treasure Cards for non-boss enemies.

Press “T” in game to open your Monstrology Tome to create and track these new items.

You’ll also now be earning ranks in Monstrology and earning badges for your accomplishments while you play with this new system.

Special Notes:
  • During PvE combat, non-Myth school wizards can summon one monster through a created treasure card, but Myth players can summon up to three!
  • If the monster is one you can only ever fight once through a quest, you won’t be able to collect animus from it.
  • If your Monstology level is equal to the enemy's rank, you should be able to get an animus. If your Monstorology level is below the enemy's rank, it will be harder to collect animus. The difficulty grows as the level/rank difference increases.
  • When you fail to collect Animus, you’ll receive a message explaining why it wasn’t collected.
  • Be sure to check the Monstroomibus pedestal next to Monstrologist Burke if you need a refresher on the Monstrology tutorial and the new Monstrodome Crown Shop Item.
~~

The Monstrodome is an interact-able item you either purchase through the Crown Shop or craft (See Felicia Worthington in Marleybone to purchase the recipe). You can add your minion summoning treasure cards into the Monstrodome and invite friends to come duel your devious collection of monsters from within your player housing.

You interact with the Monstrodome much like you would other housing items. You click on the Place Object housing button, place your Monstrodome in your house, Click on your Monstrodome, and then click on the Monstrodome icon.

I've been trying to catch the Animus of Malistaire the Undying (Shadow) so I might place him in my Death House on my necromancer, however it says that my Monstrology level is not high enough yet. At what Monstrology level would I need to to obtain so I could get Malistaire as a house pet?

Survivor
Jul 04, 2019
Can you guys pls do a feature where once you have learned all the monstrology spells and reached like lvl 19, you can learn a new monstorlogy spell which can let you collect the animus of any NPCs you fight?

Explorer
Mar 04, 2018
DiamondAngel1234 on Mar 29, 2020 wrote:
I've been trying to catch the Animus of Malistaire the Undying (Shadow) so I might place him in my Death House on my necromancer, however it says that my Monstrology level is not high enough yet. At what Monstrology level would I need to to obtain so I could get Malistaire as a house pet?
So jealous! I'm still on, like level 2 Monstrology! I think Malistaire the Undying(Shadow) is a rank 16 boss, so I think you might have to get to Monstrology level 16, otherwise, like Dworgyn said, it'll be harder.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
Dworgyn on Apr 13, 2017 wrote:

Special Notes:
~~

Wow! This is SUCH a COOL update! Thanks so much, Dworgyn for this helpful information!! I'm starting to understand it better and this introduction post has helped!

Much appreciation,
Iridian Starflame

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
Thank you so much for this introduction post to Monstrology! It is super helpful and I appreciate y'all! :-)

Thanks,
Iridian

Iridian StarFlame (Death)
Alicia AshSword (Life)
Victoria DayDreamer (Myth)