Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Improving/Diversifying the Meta

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 19, 2009
I've read many posts about a utility school, and how such a school would be hard to level.
Then I started thinking about how few spells would need to be added to any particular existing school to make a decent utility class.
I decided on Death mainly because there would be a wonderful contrast from life which supports your team with a variety of goodies. The death version of utility would focus mainly on Oppression of the enemy team. It already has access to a variety of GREAT oppressive spells such as:
-Plague
-Virulent Plague
-Mass Infect
-Bad Juju
-Feint
-Mass Feint (PvE)(Item)
-Winged Sorrow

A PvP centric Gallant Bull could offer:

2 Spell: Smoke Screen(with talent)
1 Spell: Choke
May Cast "Smoke Screen"
May Cast "Plague"

The Best Wand imo (For this Build) is Aquilan Secutor Lance for the:

May Cast "Athena Battle Sight"

The Off-School Dmg% isn't important since this role isn't meant for damage.

If anyone wanted to humor an Amulet for a second mastery these are the spells your could benefit from learning:

-Fire: Krampus (for the -45%)
-Balance: Loremaster, Reshuffle (regardless of mastery)
-Myth: Earthquake (Really good) I didn't include Athena because casting odd pip spells is inefficient.

I haven't yet come up with a bunch of new spells but everyone seems interested in still maintaining a damage aspect to death as much as I'd like to stray from it as Most schools do more effective damage. The whole point of changing schools is to try to experience a new style of play. So, that's why it bothers me when people are asking for DoTs like Fire, AoE as strong as Storm, and Single big-hitters like Myth. To quell the desire for damage and inspired by everyone's favorite shrike spell I give you:

-Mass Backlash: (3 Turns) 40% Backlash to all enemies.

If anyone has thoughts on any of my rambling please post. I want to encourage experimentation.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2009
Two more cool spells I thought of (may or may not be original):

Deal with Death: If lethal damage would be dealt to you, instead make your HP 1.(and maybe remove all DoT but i think that might be too strong) It would be best as an 3-4 turn aura but I'd settle for a 1 use shield.

Soul Link: You recieve as Health, half the damage an opponent's next spell does.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2009
A great way to improve on the "edge of death" theme, Revenge type spells would be more powerful based on how low your health was. The only way i see this working, instead of using ratios and percentages, simple subtraction would be a good way to calculate the damage. for instance:

3200 - Current Health to single target

2400 - Current Health to each opponent

or more complexly for a DoT

3400 - Current Health but the damage is distributed 40 : 60/3-turns