Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How Do I Use Text/Open Chat?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 06, 2018
I am 18, a paying member through steam and steam wallet (which uses my credit card), and I have open chat enabled in parental controls for myself. However, once I get into the game, I can't figure out how to use it. People have told me 'just start typing!", but that only brings up menus and stuff. I've logged in and out, I've toggled the parental controls, I've tried everything I can think of. Am I missing something obvious? Thank you for any help!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
MarleyJuniper on Sep 9, 2018 wrote:
I am 18, a paying member through steam and steam wallet (which uses my credit card), and I have open chat enabled in parental controls for myself. However, once I get into the game, I can't figure out how to use it. People have told me 'just start typing!", but that only brings up menus and stuff. I've logged in and out, I've toggled the parental controls, I've tried everything I can think of. Am I missing something obvious? Thank you for any help!
Are you clicking the speech bubble to start speaking? This will only bring up menu chat options. Try clicking 'enter' on your keyboard. A chat box should appear that you can start typing into.

Another thing you can check is what chat symbol your character has under their name. You might have noticed people with a chat bubble under their name, some of them have a chat bubble with a line through it and others have no chat bubble. These indicate the chat privileges of the account/wizard.

Chat bubble with a line through it = menu chat. These wizards can only read or say things from the drop down lists of words/phrases.

Chat bubble without a line through it = text chat. These wizards can read or say anything from the 'white list' of words deemed safe/appropriate in KI's dictionary. Anything not included in the dictionary will come out red and be translated as three dots (even spelling mistakes!).

No chat bubble = open chat. These wizards can read or say anything except words on the 'black list'. When we type in open chat we get either white, yellow or red words. Red words are on the black list and not allowed. Red words will translate as 3 dots for anyone reading it. Yellow words are words that are not in the white list but are also not on the black list. These will appear as written to anyone with open chat, but will appear as 3 dots to anyone with text chat.

If your wizard has no chat bubble beneath their name and clicking enter to start typing doesn't work then there may be a technical problem that needs the magic of KI's Support team to fix. Hopefully though you will be able to work out the problem and get it working yourself. I hope this info helps and you're able to chat with your friends soon

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Perhaps when you just start typing, you are hitting the hot key shortcuts, I for the pet menu, B for backpack, U for housing items, T for Monstrology page, etc. O brings the "view chat" box up. Enter brings you a box below the chat box with a cursor to type your chat into.

FYI- in the spell book, the tab with the question mark has so much useful tutorial info, that explains many things. So many people seem to miss looking in there.