Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 on macOS needs to be improved.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 28, 2017
I'm wondering if macOS will ever get a version of Wizard101 on Steam. It runs seemingly well already with the windows version of steam running through Crossover, so I'm confused as to why it hasn't become available yet? Is it that the way Wizard101 runs on Macs by translation being unsupported by steam? Which would be confusing as Steam promotes proton for linux.

Could this be solved by finally getting a native build for macOS and no longer requiring it to be translated by Crossover? I feel like this would solve some of the issues that are constantly caused by updates to either the game itself or macOS (though not all of them), along with the terrible crown shop experience on macOS. I would rather not ever have to open it at all, and it turns me away from ever wanting to buy anything from it. I cannot figure out the reason why this hasn't happened yet. It most certainly has nothing to do with 32-bit support, you can't even run Wiz on 32-bit windows systems.

I understand that this would take time and resources, but the experience on Wiz on macOS isn't what the company should be promoting, resolution settings are weird, fullscreen is a mess, not to mention because it has to be not only translated from windows to macOS and then from 64-bit to arm, it takes up more memory and can cause some devices to get hot pretty fast. The crown shop drops frames and makes it look like the game is being ran on a potato.

Content updates and events are important, but making the playing experience worse by refusing to build a native application isn't a good way to go about making your game feel playable and usable. If you are going to keep supporting a platform, you have to eventually give it actual support.