Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rasputin?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 30, 2010
Is the character "Rasputin" really appropriate in a childs game? If most of you don't know, "Rasputin" was a real life man who served Nicholas II's (Tsar of Russia, 1894-1917) son who wasdiagnosed with hemophilia. He was the personal "holy" healer of the Tsar, that attempted to aid his son of his disease. The background of Rasputin is rather dirty and dull, and I'd think that calling a character in-game "Rasputin" is rather inappropriate and uncalled for.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this matter, or am I just being a little overboard?
I'd be delighted to discuss this topic with anyone else who has any concerns.

- Thanks

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I think that this is a fine addition. Rasputin was not liked by many people at the time hence the association of being "dirty." Not a whole lot was really known about him, and there are a million rumors (mostly bad ones) about him. See the real guy's wiki. I feel that it is okay because:
1. There is a popular children's movie from the 1990s called "Anastasia" which has Rasputin as the bad guy.
2. The Spiral's version is a watered-down version of an embellished version of a character from history. KingsIsle want's things to be kid friendly so nothing too obscene or graphic will ever be introduced.
3. They have made parodies/their own versions of other persons: Doctor Who, Marie Antoinette, Napoleon, Merlin, Baba Yaga, Krampus, etc.

So bottom line, I think it's okay because it's just a name sake that they are using to create their own Spiral Parody.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
To answer your question, I think you're thinking too much into it.

Azteca was much worse anyways, and more noticeable to children. I figure anyone in this section is aware of how that world ended.

Rasputin, on the other hand, is someone you learn about when you're older and capable of processing the more infamous historical figures. I, personally, find no problem with it. He was honestly a very smart man who wormed his way into power.

Also, it's complicated to say if Rasputin was good or bad, as I must agree with Wilde that it is "absurd to divide people" into those categories. He embodied things that people saw as both good and bad.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
It's just a name. There are wizards running around with names that I would consider more inappropriate for children than Rasputin.

Survivor
May 30, 2010
Shannon Skybreaker on Jun 14, 2016 wrote:
To answer your question, I think you're thinking too much into it.

Azteca was much worse anyways, and more noticeable to children. I figure anyone in this section is aware of how that world ended.

Rasputin, on the other hand, is someone you learn about when you're older and capable of processing the more infamous historical figures. I, personally, find no problem with it. He was honestly a very smart man who wormed his way into power.

Also, it's complicated to say if Rasputin was good or bad, as I must agree with Wilde that it is "absurd to divide people" into those categories. He embodied things that people saw as both good and bad.

Best of luck!
S.S.
Rasputin was neither smart, nor did he ever have power. He was hated among the Russian people and government, and was seen purely as a threat to the Tsarist regime. Some would argue that he was one of the reasons why the Tsarist regime collapsed in the February Revolution of 1917.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
IceRiver323 on Jun 17, 2016 wrote:
Rasputin was neither smart, nor did he ever have power. He was hated among the Russian people and government, and was seen purely as a threat to the Tsarist regime. Some would argue that he was one of the reasons why the Tsarist regime collapsed in the February Revolution of 1917.
"Smart" is subjective and "have power" is debatable. (What arbitrary definition are you using for those terms?) Yes, he was not liked and many do blame him for the fall of the Russian Empire as you suggest. Was that his goal however? Maybe, maybe not. Again the real Rasputin is shrouded in lots of rumor, mystery and embellishment.
This makes him a prime character to be further exaggerated/tweaked in other works as KingsIsle, Warner Bros. and many others have done. If you want a character to be worried about I'd be more worried about Krampus. It's like an evil Santa Claus! However, it's just a game so I'm not worried.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
IceRiver323 on Jun 17, 2016 wrote:
Unfortunately, so many documents on his character were lost or destroyed, that we may never know his exact character.

However, I must disagree. This man was intelligent in some senses, pouncing on the Tsarist regime after their power began degrading. He then used what sway he could with Alexandra Feodorovna. The people, already annoyed with their government, saw Rasputin as allowing for the Empress to continue to meddle in political affairs, which they were very much against. Honestly, the people just hated her in general, even before Rasputin became involved. However, as Rasputin's character played out, he became a symbol as an enemy to the people, and as an enemy to the Tsardom. With this, he evoked mixed feelings from the public.

Rasputin found himself in this ideal situation, in which he could not quite be removed from his elevated position. He was liked by the Tsarina, but disliked by the Tsar. However, Nicholas II could not send him away, due to Rasputin taking care of his one and only son. If Rasputin had left, and Alexei had died due to haemophilia, then the blood would have been on the Tsar's hands.

Anyways, apologies for the wall of text. The atmosphere and his arrival are both very interesting historical topics.

Best of luck!
S.S.