Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do you play with gear?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 20, 2021
I have played W101 for a year now, or just under or just over a year now, and I have a routine on how I play.

World 1-3 - I complete all Main Storyline Quests.
Once I complete World 3 and World 4 is available, I go back to World 1 through to 3 and complete all side quests, then from then on, I complete all Quests including side quests, but do the Main Storyline first, or if I am waiting on Team Up, then I go do a side quest or two until me and my team enter the Dungeon.

Gear:
When it comes to my Gear that I choose, up until just recently, I always picked the gear that gave me the most health, if it gave me mana, or resistance, or added damage, or crits, then to me it was just a bonus, as long as I stayed alive and it gave me the most health. However, a friend of mine, who has been playing the game for years, played it with me for the first time just recently, and showed me how to get the absolute best gear for my level, where it gave me the most added damage, the most resistance, the most critical chance, but it was not the highest I could get in terms of health. I always waited until my backpack was full, then went to the Bazaar, sold what I felt I did not need, and then bought what I believed to be the best gear for me and my level, in which to me, the best gear had the most health, but I have now realised that it is not the most health that is the "best" gear, the added damage, resistance, and crits matter too.

Me:
I have ADHD and Autism so having "a way of doing things" and a "routine" is very much how I prefer things to be, and now that I know that health is not just the only thing that matters when choosing what is good gear for my level, it has thrown me off of my way of playing the game.

Also, just to say, I don't want to be the best in the game, I don't want the ultimate best gear, I just want good gear, that will give me crit, health, damage and resistance that will keep me alive and help me put up a damn good fight.

My main 2 characters are Storm and Fire so mostly I prefer to be a damage dealing School.

Enough of me rambling on, and on to my question to everyone:
How do you choose what gear to use? Do you always go for the "best gear" for your level? Do you spend hours farming for the ultimate best gear for your level, like Aquila? What would you say is a good way (as you are levelling) of gaining good Spellements? I have only managed to upgrade my spells a couple of times as I have levelled. When it comes to gear, do you focus on health? resistance? mana? energy? crit chance? crit block? added damage? what looks cool?

Defender
Feb 28, 2013
retawalta on Aug 15, 2023 wrote:
I have played W101 for a year now, or just under or just over a year now, and I have a routine on how I play.

World 1-3 - I complete all Main Storyline Quests.
Once I complete World 3 and World 4 is available, I go back to World 1 through to 3 and complete all side quests, then from then on, I complete all Quests including side quests, but do the Main Storyline first, or if I am waiting on Team Up, then I go do a side quest or two until me and my team enter the Dungeon.

Gear:
When it comes to my Gear that I choose, up until just recently, I always picked the gear that gave me the most health, if it gave me mana, or resistance, or added damage, or crits, then to me it was just a bonus, as long as I stayed alive and it gave me the most health. However, a friend of mine, who has been playing the game for years, played it with me for the first time just recently, and showed me how to get the absolute best gear for my level, where it gave me the most added damage, the most resistance, the most critical chance, but it was not the highest I could get in terms of health. I always waited until my backpack was full, then went to the Bazaar, sold what I felt I did not need, and then bought what I believed to be the best gear for me and my level, in which to me, the best gear had the most health, but I have now realised that it is not the most health that is the "best" gear, the added damage, resistance, and crits matter too.

Me:
I have ADHD and Autism so having "a way of doing things" and a "routine" is very much how I prefer things to be, and now that I know that health is not just the only thing that matters when choosing what is good gear for my level, it has thrown me off of my way of playing the game.

Also, just to say, I don't want to be the best in the game, I don't want the ultimate best gear, I just want good gear, that will give me crit, health, damage and resistance that will keep me alive and help me put up a damn good fight.

My main 2 characters are Storm and Fire so mostly I prefer to be a damage dealing School.

Enough of me rambling on, and on to my question to everyone:
How do you choose what gear to use? Do you always go for the "best gear" for your level? Do you spend hours farming for the ultimate best gear for your level, like Aquila? What would you say is a good way (as you are levelling) of gaining good Spellements? I have only managed to upgrade my spells a couple of times as I have levelled. When it comes to gear, do you focus on health? resistance? mana? energy? crit chance? crit block? added damage? what looks cool?
Personally, I go mainly for gear that provides crit and damage.
I find that being able to hit hard is just as (if not more) important than health