Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Challenge Mode: Darkmoor Fights

AuthorMessage
Champion
Nov 22, 2008
I am of the opinion that with the recent changes to the titan's trident and other similar Empyrea bosses is awesome! I love what they've done there to allow people to more easily progress through the game.

Since there's a special, often needed, spell connected to Darkmoor, it would be nice to see this challenge mode offered in those fights as well.

Ideally, a simplified list of cheats, or the same cheats at lower damage, would be used to teach people how to use and adapt to them in the standard fight.

In their first standard run, at least 1 piece of the Malistaire tier gearset would be dropped to the player, but farming for further pieces and access to the Aphrodite II room should be locked behind the Challenge mode.

While tidying up darkmoor, I'd suggest allowing people to list their team up under skeleton keys if they intend to farm Aphrodite II.

I'm sure there are things I may have missed in writing this suggestion, but that's the point! It's an idea to jump off of! I love the changes to make the game approachable to new players while maintaining the later game difficulty, and I hope as worlds becomes further and further from the end, that more worlds get challenge mode bosses as appropriate.

Survivor
Sep 07, 2017
Great ideas !
My issue is with the shadow spells; this area is way old now (what, 8 yrs or so?) and with fewer players, teams are harder to find. Shouldn't be a requirement that you need a full team in order to train your school spell. That definitely should be changed since it is impossible to solo.
Maybe a solo boss fight to get it would be a fix?

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
RighteousMonkey on Jul 11, 2023 wrote:
Great ideas !
My issue is with the shadow spells; this area is way old now (what, 8 yrs or so?) and with fewer players, teams are harder to find. Shouldn't be a requirement that you need a full team in order to train your school spell. That definitely should be changed since it is impossible to solo.
Maybe a solo boss fight to get it would be a fix?
Not sure what your experience is with darkmoor, but it's very doable to get groups and farm darkmoor quickly. Lots of people are still playing through the game for the first time.

That aside, the suggestion here is to lower the barriers of entry to accessing the darkmoor spell by simplifying the cheats, or just reducing the damage they do, to make it approachable, but also to require people to do the harder version if they want the rewarding gear, like how challenge modes work in empyrea.

There are a lot of crazy hard fights there that are made much easier by allowing people to take on a simplified version of the boss and having the original available to people who want to farm for gear as the "challenge" fight. It's important to remember that challenge fights can only be done when regular fights have been completed.

Overall, I want to lower the barriers to entry for accessing the spell inside of darkmoor that most schools will rely on for effecient questing in Polaris and beyond, but still preserve the essence of the current dungeon for people that seek powerful tools to progress in the game.