Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Diminishing Returns = Save pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2019
The definition- In gaming, the law of diminishing returns (DR) governs the gradual loss of effectiveness of a spell or ability on continual use. Simply put, the more you abuse a skill, the less effective it becomes. This concept has the power to negate a lot of balancing problems you all are currently looking to solve. This is the simple solution. Having DR can significantly change gameplay and alter how spells are utilized in player vs player combat. How it'd work- Each Round a player attacks or heals, they receive a stacking debuff that will effect their next attack/heal by a certain percentage. Not consecutively attacking/healing prevents the debuff. Also, if you get high stacks of the debuff, alternatively you can stop attacking or healing for one round to break the debuff. The design- Personally, I was thinking for attacks there would be a 10% weakness applied to the player after an attack and -10% infection after healing, and both should be stacked with other debuffs (I figured this is a good time to mention I Don't agree with pet maycast however if the pet has healing it should break the infection). Each time the player consecutively attacks/heals they receive a weakness/infection that is 10% stronger than the last. Clearing the debuff could cause like a cleanse animation on the weakness/infection. Cards you'd be effecting without nerfing them- Lore master which is causing a lot of uproar in the community at the moment, but is a pivotal part of the balance rotation. Wild bolt would also be effected and cause storms to strategize more rather than playing pvp by "chance". Shrike would also be effected as you will no longer be able spam attacks during the shrike phase, possibly even increasing the amount of DR in shrike (double). Fire DoT spams that revolve around burning rampage Things to look out for- spells like sacrifice should also receive the infection debuff, but empower, juju, and dark pact should not cause DR. Unintended consequence- players (death in particular) might begin to utilize high stacks of DR to reduce initial damage of spells such as sacrifice, or juju. Let this be as this is an extremely risky strategy strategy because it burns pips and the attacks effectiveness will be significantly reduced. Rather than breaking the game trying to fix this or destroying DR before the round starts it should just persist through spells like these. While you're here, you should also look into design flaws with weaknesses in pvp. 90% is pretty absurd in player vs player combat and having spells like juju weakness reduced to like 60% and efreet weakness to 50% in PvP might also help. Minor tweaks to lore could also be made, but that don't have to be as detrimental, and as for burning rampage it also needs to be re-evaluated and potentially needs an increase in the round limit, giving the person second time to recover because fire wizards will gain stacks of DR in the process of breaking defenses. The initial hit could also be removed and give an effect such as a minor mantle, to preserve a defense for the player that's second and pushing fire into a position where they have to gain high stacks of DR to break through the defense, whilst the other person is able to recover, they are still subject to stacking infection, and if they don't have proper defenses, rampage still holds on to the same effectiveness. Thanks for taking the time to review my suggestions, I will also be making a video on this topic as well.

Administrator
ZenPvP on Jun 2, 2019 wrote:
The definition- In gaming, the law of diminishing returns (DR) governs the gradual loss of effectiveness of a spell or ability on continual use. Simply put, the more you abuse a skill, the less effective it becomes. This concept has the power to negate a lot of balancing problems you all are currently looking to solve. This is the simple solution. Having DR can significantly change gameplay and alter how spells are utilized in player vs player combat. How it'd work- Each Round a player attacks or heals, they receive a stacking debuff that will effect their next attack/heal by a certain percentage. Not consecutively attacking/healing prevents the debuff. Also, if you get high stacks of the debuff, alternatively you can stop attacking or healing for one round to break the debuff. The design- Personally, I was thinking for attacks there would be a 10% weakness applied to the player after an attack and -10% infection after healing, and both should be stacked with other debuffs (I figured this is a good time to mention I Don't agree with pet maycast however if the pet has healing it should break the infection). Each time the player consecutively attacks/heals they receive a weakness/infection that is 10% stronger than the last. Clearing the debuff could cause like a cleanse animation on the weakness/infection. Cards you'd be effecting without nerfing them- Lore master which is causing a lot of uproar in the community at the moment, but is a pivotal part of the balance rotation. Wild bolt would also be effected and cause storms to strategize more rather than playing pvp by "chance". Shrike would also be effected as you will no longer be able spam attacks during the shrike phase, possibly even increasing the amount of DR in shrike (double). Fire DoT spams that revolve around burning rampage Things to look out for- spells like sacrifice should also receive the infection debuff, but empower, juju, and dark pact should not cause DR. Unintended consequence- players (death in particular) might begin to utilize high stacks of DR to reduce initial damage of spells such as sacrifice, or juju. Let this be as this is an extremely risky strategy strategy because it burns pips and the attacks effectiveness will be significantly reduced. Rather than breaking the game trying to fix this or destroying DR before the round starts it should just persist through spells like these. While you're here, you should also look into design flaws with weaknesses in pvp. 90% is pretty absurd in player vs player combat and having spells like juju weakness reduced to like 60% and efreet weakness to 50% in PvP might also help. Minor tweaks to lore could also be made, but that don't have to be as detrimental, and as for burning rampage it also needs to be re-evaluated and potentially needs an increase in the round limit, giving the person second time to recover because fire wizards will gain stacks of DR in the process of breaking defenses. The initial hit could also be removed and give an effect such as a minor mantle, to preserve a defense for the player that's second and pushing fire into a position where they have to gain high stacks of DR to break through the defense, whilst the other person is able to recover, they are still subject to stacking infection, and if they don't have proper defenses, rampage still holds on to the same effectiveness. Thanks for taking the time to review my suggestions, I will also be making a video on this topic as well.
Can you please paragraph your statement here, it will be easier for others to read and respond to. Thanks!