Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Punctuation and caps not being allowed in Text Chat

AuthorMessage
Delver
Sep 13, 2016
I noticed that when I type ? without any words next to it it gets filtered, can that be changed, because if someone says something you dont get people usually(in games) type ?, not what? or what did you say?, so its going to be easier if you could just type ?. About caps they can be useful for screaming and articulation. For example, a low level storm could say I NEED the karken spell its so cool. Or if your about to get hit with an Dr. Von's Monster with like 3 traps on you and 4 blades on your enemy and your at 2k you might want to say AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, not a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a. So caps and spamming a repeatedly would be a good thing to add. Also can there be a censored emoji.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Hi Coyle,

So this is an account safety measure. Way back in the ancient days of Wizard101 you used to be able to type and use capitalization and spelling. However, there were some people that would use capital letters to bypass filters and so that functionality was removed. I was kind of bothered by the change at first because I like using proper grammar, and even thought hey this helps kids with typing and stuff, but it's been long enough and most young people/text language doesn't follow conventional spelling/grammar I feel like it's kind of a mute issue at this point.

Anyway, long story short it used to but now it doesn't.

Example:
YOU aRE MEANt to use that spell.
(See how I said "youre mean" in caps.

I'm okay with the safety chat filter as it is, but if it did allow one capital letter at the start and allow for periods I would appreciate that-however, I feel like they probably see that as more effort than it currently is worth to implement.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Also there is a censored emoji it's just that it's an emoticon or older emoji. It looks like this --> ...

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
exp613 on Jan 30, 2021 wrote:
Hi Coyle,

So this is an account safety measure. Way back in the ancient days of Wizard101 you used to be able to type and use capitalization and spelling. However, there were some people that would use capital letters to bypass filters and so that functionality was removed. I was kind of bothered by the change at first because I like using proper grammar, and even thought hey this helps kids with typing and stuff, but it's been long enough and most young people/text language doesn't follow conventional spelling/grammar I feel like it's kind of a mute issue at this point.

Anyway, long story short it used to but now it doesn't.

Example:
YOU aRE MEANt to use that spell.
(See how I said "youre mean" in caps.

I'm okay with the safety chat filter as it is, but if it did allow one capital letter at the start and allow for periods I would appreciate that-however, I feel like they probably see that as more effort than it currently is worth to implement.
typing your mean, is not rude. Also having the ability to type AAAA will be awesome. Honestly I am thinking this game is taking safety measures over their limits. Because, say, in minecraft there are no filters what so everand 5 year olds play it, at least have the ability to type syllables(constant with vowel, like ve, to, we, ka, ak, ta, to, yo, yu, jo, na) and stuff like privet(hit in Russian in latin letters). This game has the most filters and restrictions out of any game I play and I dont like that. Also, I never tried but can you type in different languages in text chat?

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 2, 2021 wrote:
typing your mean, is not rude. Also having the ability to type AAAA will be awesome. Honestly I am thinking this game is taking safety measures over their limits. Because, say, in minecraft there are no filters what so everand 5 year olds play it, at least have the ability to type syllables(constant with vowel, like ve, to, we, ka, ak, ta, to, yo, yu, jo, na) and stuff like privet(hit in Russian in latin letters). This game has the most filters and restrictions out of any game I play and I dont like that. Also, I never tried but can you type in different languages in text chat?
Hi Coyle,

"your mean" was just an example of how people used to bypass the filters. I did not say that it was rude. (Though, I do think it can be given the context.)

Minecraft is operated by a different company. However, they too have some safety precautions. (i.e. A notification that says online play is not rated and recently have been issuing STRONG bans to players that violate the Terms of Service on Servers. All very vague...) However, again, they are a different game ran by a different company with different goals, games and platforms even.

Typing a string of letters or random nonsense, can be seen as Spam. And while not illegal or anything it can be annoying and I would rather not have it filling up my screen if I'm trying to talk with someone in English.

We understand that you don't like the filters, I've read your comments about that on a couple of different threads lol. However, the filter is part of what makes KingsIsle and Wizard101 stand out from other games in some peoples experience including mine.

When I use Spanglish (English with random Spanish words thrown in) the majority of the time Open chat is required to see the words unless they are very common. Given that I am playing on a US English based server this makes sense. I can't speak for internationally.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
exp613 on Feb 4, 2021 wrote:
Hi Coyle,

"your mean" was just an example of how people used to bypass the filters. I did not say that it was rude. (Though, I do think it can be given the context.)

Minecraft is operated by a different company. However, they too have some safety precautions. (i.e. A notification that says online play is not rated and recently have been issuing STRONG bans to players that violate the Terms of Service on Servers. All very vague...) However, again, they are a different game ran by a different company with different goals, games and platforms even.

Typing a string of letters or random nonsense, can be seen as Spam. And while not illegal or anything it can be annoying and I would rather not have it filling up my screen if I'm trying to talk with someone in English.

We understand that you don't like the filters, I've read your comments about that on a couple of different threads lol. However, the filter is part of what makes KingsIsle and Wizard101 stand out from other games in some peoples experience including mine.

When I use Spanglish (English with random Spanish words thrown in) the majority of the time Open chat is required to see the words unless they are very common. Given that I am playing on a US English based server this makes sense. I can't speak for internationally.
How do I switch server countries?