Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Native macOS Support with Apple Silicon

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 17, 2011
So I love this game, and still come back to it all the time. I wasn’t too sure who I should contact about this, so I thought I would start here. I have a suggestion that would bring Wizard101 to the next level for the Mac. Here is a link to start us off:

https://developer.apple.com/games/

Recently, Apple released macOS Sonoma to the public. This release for the Mac brings tons of new capabilities and features to the Mac. It’s a great release for developers, and a great release for consumers. In macOS Sonoma is a new technology called the game porting toolkit. Apple’s game porting toolkit eliminates months of up-front work and allows you to evaluate how well your game could run on Mac before writing any code. I have tested this toolkit and was able to run Hogwarts Legacy, Elden Ring, and Cyberpunk at phenomenal frame rates. I ran this on a 14 Inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro. This toolkit allows you to see how well games run on bare Apple Silicon. And don’t doubt Apple Silicon for a second. It is a very powerful chip. My question is, would it be possible to try testing and porting Wizard101 to run natively on Apple Silicon? This would be a phenomenal experience. Wizard101 would run phenomenal on Apple Silicon. You could also take advantage of other Apple technologies like Metal, MetalFX Upscaling, and offline shader compilation. Wizard101 is a phenomenal game, but it is begging to run natively on Apple Silicon!

Administrator
DVAID3 on Sep 28, 2023 wrote:
So I love this game, and still come back to it all the time. I wasn’t too sure who I should contact about this, so I thought I would start here. I have a suggestion that would bring Wizard101 to the next level for the Mac. Here is a link to start us off:

https://developer.apple.com/games/

Recently, Apple released macOS Sonoma to the public. This release for the Mac brings tons of new capabilities and features to the Mac. It’s a great release for developers, and a great release for consumers. In macOS Sonoma is a new technology called the game porting toolkit. Apple’s game porting toolkit eliminates months of up-front work and allows you to evaluate how well your game could run on Mac before writing any code. I have tested this toolkit and was able to run Hogwarts Legacy, Elden Ring, and Cyberpunk at phenomenal frame rates. I ran this on a 14 Inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro. This toolkit allows you to see how well games run on bare Apple Silicon. And don’t doubt Apple Silicon for a second. It is a very powerful chip. My question is, would it be possible to try testing and porting Wizard101 to run natively on Apple Silicon? This would be a phenomenal experience. Wizard101 would run phenomenal on Apple Silicon. You could also take advantage of other Apple technologies like Metal, MetalFX Upscaling, and offline shader compilation. Wizard101 is a phenomenal game, but it is begging to run natively on Apple Silicon!
An interesting suggestion! It's possible but would be a huge task as with most of these sort of port initiatives. I'll send the idea to our team, as we've been focusing on compatibility so far.