Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Windows Won't Let Game Open

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I did not intentionally install the latest Windows update.
I think it eventually installs itself.

The game was working fine this year, not long ago.

Tonight the game closed each time I tried. A pop up said something about Windows Defender.

I downloaded the game and before it finishes installing, the installer bar closes. A pop up appears so briefly I can't read it, but it looks the same as the Windows Defender pop up.

How do I allow the game to install and to open? I was in the mood to play for a while. Thanks in advance.

Delver
Apr 05, 2022
SparkleTude on Oct 24, 2023 wrote:
I did not intentionally install the latest Windows update.
I think it eventually installs itself.

The game was working fine this year, not long ago.

Tonight the game closed each time I tried. A pop up said something about Windows Defender.

I downloaded the game and before it finishes installing, the installer bar closes. A pop up appears so briefly I can't read it, but it looks the same as the Windows Defender pop up.

How do I allow the game to install and to open? I was in the mood to play for a while. Thanks in advance.
Interesting, has anyone else been running into the same issue?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Thank you for your reply.

I tried to open the game again just now. Just in case, I guess?

I got this message:

"WizardLauncher.exe - System Error

X The code execution cannot proceed because zlib1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

Probably because I had downloaded a new file and tried to install it the other day, when the game would not finish opening? (And then, that would not install.)

I don't know what could be going on. I would expect that if I tried to install again, the same thing will happen. Yet notice, the error message tells me to reinstall.

I don't know why this began to occur out of the blue. I'm sad because I would like to play Wiz 101 and to see what is in the game. Looks like some new stuff.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Oh I also forgot to mention: Today I installed the latest Windows update, although I did not want to, but just in case that might restore or help in some way.
Nope!