Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Hatching Advice

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 25, 2013
I'm a noob when it comes to pet hatching, but I have a question for the more experienced players...

I have been trying to breed a 3 damage 2 resist pet for my character. Each time I hatch, I pick a pet with all those traits. I started with a first gen that wasn't great, but it had the +6 any damage, so I figured it was a good start. Then I hatched a bird with a few of the right traits, but it soon had suboptimal ones. I hatched again getting an opossum, which went much better. The first 3 traits were perfect (+10 school damage, +6 school damage, +10 resist) but then the 4th was a deferent school's crit. I then hatched another time, but the first trait was another school's damage.

Am I better off hatching back from my other pet where I know I have 3 good traits, or should I go with the new pet since it has had now 3 hatchings with parents of the optimal traits compared to the other pet's only 2?

Thanks for the help!
-Justin, King of the Squids

Survivor
Sep 07, 2017
I have the best luck hatching only with pets that I know what talents it has in its gene pool; I avoid hatching with random pets that may be polluted with unwanted stats. Nothing worse than getting a useless spell card at mega! Maybe work with the ones you have so that you can bring out the best in them. good luck!

Survivor
Feb 11, 2011
Heyo Squid King,

I'm a bit of a veteran player with every school maxed out. If you go to your pets page in your book you can see it's "strength, intellect, agility, will, and power. I assume these are already near maxed out, as you have the 10 school dealer and pain giver. If you go under your pets talents, you can see little circles with numbers in them at the bottom. These numbers are the total amount of talents you can pull from but a total of 5 can be directly linked to your pet (no pet jewel).

For example, I have a Shiverous Knight with an ice-boon, ice-giver, pain-giver, ice-dealer, and spell-proof. Out of the ten talents, these 5 were in that talent pool. the other 5 could have been spell- defy (5 resist) life-giver, healer, myth-sniper, and maycast fire-elf. I don't know because you can't see what you could pull until you level up your pet to the next level.

To safety net your pet, keep rehatching your pet with another at the kiosk with the talents you are looking for. You are not guaranteed that if your pet has a spell-proof (10 resist) and the one you pick from the kiosk does, that you will get it. Because one of the kiosk pets hidden talents could be swapped with spell-proof. The Kiosk randomly gives 10 out of the 20 total talents. Before you level up to teen, adult, and so on, rehatch with a pet you like before moving to the next stage. So if your pet fails, your safety pet will have similar stats so you don't go all in and waste snacks, energy, and time.

If you would like additional help, I could try to meet you in the game and explain there too because I don't have pictures or pets to show. Stats and talents are what to watch out for. Stats (strength,etc) will be either the lowest, middle or highest of the two pets. 2 pets with a 255 strength and one with 245 will be either 245, 250, or 255. Watch out for this too, lower stats affect certain talents and stats (such as an ice dealer being a 8 or 9, oppose to 10.

I think you have a good idea on this, so I apologize for making it more basic than you may need.